Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Fall Happenings

Fall has arrived in Colorado. It's always amazing to me how drastic the temperature changes here. One day it is snowing and the next day it's 70 degrees outside. We had our first snow a few weeks back which was fun for the kids. We had to run out and buy warm weather clothes and boots for everyone and we used them for two days and then the "warm"weather came back. It has been sunny skies and 60-70 degree days for weeks now. I think Colorado must be God's favorite state ;-)

We have been thoroughly enjoying ourselves here at our lakefront apartment. The kids and I take walks daily and Luke and I try to keep up with our running several times per week. I'm really going to miss having this view everyday. 



The sunsets over the lake are nothing short of amazing
There is no playground at the apartment, but that doesn't bother Jack and Lily. Their favorite thing do to here is play in the rocks. They will happily spend hours sitting and playing in the rock beds.
 Of course rocks and snack don't mix together very well
 One day as they were playing in the rocks, Jack found a praying mantis. He wanted to hold it but I didn't want him hurting the little guy so I got a leaf and tried to pick it up to move it to a safe place. Well, as luck would have it that thing climbed on to the leaf and then somehow it managed to get on me. I HATE bugs...so that didn't go over real well. I started squealing and squirming and the thing climbed right up my belly over my shoulder and started to go right down my back. Thankfully a neighbor was nearby and heard my screams and came and brushed the thing off my back. It landed right on the concrete and Jack ran over an picked it up.

 He was so excited to hold the little fella. He was being really gentle, but it didn't matter. The praying mantis had had quite a fright and I think he just wanted to be left alone so he bit Jack. Poor Jack screamed and threw the thing across the pavement. Jack couldn't believe that the little guy bit him, he was really sad and hurt...but thankfully a bandaid fixed it all.
 I was trying to take a picture of Jack with the praying mantis right as it bit him and I think I captured the actual moment of terror for both Jack and the praying mantis

On quieter days, we hang out around the house and read books and play.
 
And the kids love to come up with odd little games that they think are hilarious

We also had a visit from my grandparents 
 Jack was thrilled to receive a roll of quarters (and a $10 bill) from Mema. Unlike me, he didn't want to save his money. Instead he spent it right away on a new toy.
 We've also spent a lot of time with our new friends from our apartment. We all went on a local hike one afternoon and the kids were able to keep each other occupied and were able to walk about 2 miles all by themselves.

 At the end of the hike we came to this hole in the rocks with an amazing view of the city below



Day and and day out I am just enjoying my babies. That is not to say that it is easy. There comes a time every day (maybe every hour??) when I am ready to throw in the towel and I wish I was back at work doing something other than picking up mess after mess and feeling my head about to explode from the tantrums and whining. But I try to remind myself every day to be thankful of this time. When the kids are still little and they still love playing with me. They are still cuddly and cute. They are still kissable and sweet. They are still so innocent and eager to learn new things. I just hope that 10, 15, 20 years from now they will still enjoy being around their mama as much as they do now. 



Everyday our house is filled with the sounds of this little girls laughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment