Thursday, June 3, 2010

What I like ... a work in progress

So Luke commented to me that my last post was rather negative. I'd have to agree, but it's kind of hard to be positive when writing a list of things you miss. So now I'm starting my list of things I like. For now, the list isn't very long but I'm sure it will grow

1. Roundabouts
These are so much more efficient than stop signs! It was always such a pain in the butt for me to come to a complete stop back in Colorado. Here, the goal is to NOT stop. Brilliant!

2. Reverse Stoplights
We are used to the stoplights going from Green -to- Yellow -to- Red, but here they also go Red -to- Yellow -to- Green. It's great because you get sort of a "head start" to the green light.

3. Cheese and Chocolate
These have become a regular part of our diet. Just the other day we stopped at a little gas station/restaurant for dinner and their specialty was fondue! A whole pot of cheese and bread for dinner. It was great!

4. Living in Europe
It is still hard for me to believe that we are in the heart of Europe. Only 30 minutes from France and 60 minutes from Germany. For our anniversary in August we are thinking of taking the bullet train (3.5 hrs) to Paris for the weekend. How awesome is that?!!

5. Learning a new language
So I know that "English" was on my list of things I miss, but learning French is actually a great experience. I'm sure that we will pick it up very quickly since we are immersed with French speakers. Jack is already saying several French words, and I can understand about 50% of what I hear... but as far as speaking it goes, I can say less than 100 words.

6. Living near the lake
I can't wait to get back in to all the water sports I love so much that I gave up when I moved to Colorado. Water skiing, wake boarding, wind surfing, sailing...

7. Public transportation
Switzerland has an amazing public transportation system. We just bought half fare cards so we can take any of the trains/buses for 1/2 the price. Hopefully we will get an apartment near a train/bus stop so that I don't even need a car. Jack would love that as he still hates his carseat!

8. Meeting new people
The great thing about moving where you know NOBODY is that you get to meet all sorts of new people. We've met several people already who are expats like us. Some have been here for many years, some just a few months, but it's great to be able to share experiences and learn from others. Plus, Luke's work people are all very friendly and they seem to have great camaraderie at his office.

9. Paying with cash
No one really uses debit cards here. When we opened up our Swiss back account last week we were told that they don't even offer debit cards (at least not the kind that we're used to in the US). You just have to use cash for everything. I prefer it that way, I never liked using plastic in place of money.

10. Getting out of my comfort zone
Even though I listed a whole page (or more) of things I miss, it's really just so I can always remember how hard it was adjusting to a new way of life. I am really enjoying the whole experience of moving overseas and do not regret it for one second.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer - LOVE reading about your adventure....both the negative and today's positive. Keep posting on FB for us to look at your blog as a reminder, ok? I can't imagine what it's like but I think it's so cool that you get to live there. Tell me again what it is that Luke does? What company does he work for?

    Take care. Praying for you in the transition of it all!

    Sharon Aguilera

    ReplyDelete